As much as I love animals, there are a lot of great things in the media that I just can’t look at. I quite simply become an emotional wreck.
- March of the Penguins – babies in peril
- Skinny Bitch – I’m already a vegetarian
- Temple Grandin – slaughterhouses (This is particularly unfortunate because I’m so interested in Autism. I’ve been told they don’t show anything graphic with the animals, but my ability to extrapolate is FAR worse.)
- Water for Elephants – circus
- Fast Food Nation – animal cruelty, and like I said, I already eat veg
- Oogy – dog fighting
The list goes on and on.
And the content is so important. Frequently inspirational.
For years I blamed not being able to watch animal shows on Rocky, as he would bark at the TV any time there was an animal (real or animated). Now that he’s gone, I still am not able to do it.
The balance is finding enough exposure so I don’t stick my head in the sand. I know I miss out on a lot of great stuff (movies, books, articles, documentaries…), but I also need to come to my own emotional rescue.